Expatriate Teaching and Leadership Vacancy
MTK International School
Date of posting: 28.07.20
Category: Expatriate Teaching and Leadership Vacancies
Role: Primary School Teacher
Location: Baku, Azerbaijan
Employer: MTK International School
Application date/s: Immediate; interviews to take place in the UK or via Skype during the period 5th – 20th August
Start date: Tuesday 1st September (first teaching day of the 2020-21 academic year)
Contract type: Fixed term
• A highly competitive net salary;
• A performance bonus;
• A travel and relocation allowance;
• Fully-equipped accommodation;
• Comprehensive medical insurance for the employee and up to 2 dependents as standard;
• A school laptop;
• Lunch in the school canteen;
• Free tuition for up to 2 dependents1 as standard.
1At the school’s current stage of development we feel that the Preschool and Primary school are ready for expatriate leaders but that it is probably not yet the right time to induct expatriates’ dependent children into the Secondary school.
Contract Term: Annually renewable
Professional qualities and experience:
We seek a fully-certified Primary School Teacher to join our rapidly expanding international school in Baku, Azerbaijan.
This an opportunity to join a great team and make a genuine difference, educating the upcoming elite of a young country with a promising future. The post is suited to a capable and self-motivated professional who enjoys working in a cross-cultural environment.
The successful applicant will be a highly-capable, modern practitioner with a particular passion for teaching Primary English.
The key duties can be summarised as follows:
1. Fulfilling a full-time teaching timetable: the successful applicant will teach Primary English to children of a range of abilities from across the Primary age range (Grades 1-4, ages 6-10).
2. Modelling teaching and team teaching: the successful applicant will be passionate about supporting their colleagues’ professional development in various ways.
3. Supporting school events, the extra-curricular program and other initiatives: the successful applicant should be a team player willing to assist with various school projects and initiatives.
The position will suit a committed, enthusiastic teaching professional possessing the correct blend of moral purpose, teaching and interpersonal and intercultural communication skills.
MTK school is located in Baku, Azerbaijan and moved to a state-of-the-art campus in the heart of the country’s capital in August 2018. A prestigious local private school educating the children of the country’s business elite, MTK is part-way through a transition to becoming a bilingual, international-style school that offers a blended English and Azerbaijani-instruction curriculum.
The school is comprised of a bilingual Preschool for ages 2-6, a bilingual Primary School for ages 6-10 (Grades 1-4) and a three stream Secondary school for ages 10-18 (Grades 5-12), which incorporates an international stream (offering Cambridge IGCSE and AS/A-Levels) and two local curriculum streams where the language of instruction is Azerbaijani and Russian respectively. The pupil roll is around 600 in total.
The Primary School
The Primary School is situated in a state-of-the-art building with plenty of natural light, interactive whiteboards in every class, spacious corridors, a fully-stocked library and specialist teaching spaces for ICT, Art and Music.
The Primary curriculum is delivered primarily in two languages, determined by the student’s choice of educational stream. Students learning in Stream A receive a spine of English-instruction international subjects (English, Mathematics, STEAM, Topic Work, Art, PE etc.) delivered in English, complimented by aspects of the host-country curriculum delivered in the Azerbaijani language. Stream B classes receive the same but with their host-country curriculum content delivered in the Russian language.
The transformation of the Primary School began in earnest in August 2018 and a great deal of positive progress has been made in terms of staff development, improved planning and assessment of teaching,
improved resourcing, creating enabling learning environments and adapting the parent body to more child-centred expectations.
The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with a predominantly local staff team and three other fully-certified expatriate Primary teachers.
MTK employs an expatriate staff comprised of nine fully-certified teachers across the Preschool, Primary School and Secondary School and an expatriate Executive Principal who is a UK national.
• Qualified Teacher Status achieved in one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the USA.
• Experience of teaching the Primary curriculum using the above national curricula (or international equivalent).
• A particular flair and passion for teaching Primary English and a willingness to also teach other subjects as required.
• A passion for teaching EAL/ESL learners in a mixed ability environment.
• A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role-model and mentor, to students and colleagues.
• Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence; the ability to relate positively to colleagues who were raised in a distinctly different culture.
• Perseverance and a willingness to find complex practical solutions to everyday problems; patience, emotional stability and a positive outlook.
• A commitment to being an excellent ambassador for our school within the Baku community.
Also desirable would be:
• Experience of teaching the Cambridge Primary Curriculum.
• Experience of leading appraisal and/or staff training; experience of school management.
• Specific EAL / ESL experience or qualifications.
• Experience of working in an international setting within a team that has a high proportion of host-country nationals.
• Experience of living and working in the post-Soviet space.
• Proficiency in Azerbaijani, Russian or Turkish language.
How to apply:
Please address all applications to Ms Aygun Bayramova, Head of Human Resources; apply to the email [email protected]
The following should be included as attachments:
• a concise covering email, stating the role for which you are applying and core reasons why you are suited to the role
• a well-presented curriculum vitae, including full name, recent photograph, clear details of relevant qualifications, an accurate, clear chronology of teaching experience (with all gaps in employment since your initial teacher training accounted for) and, finally, a personal statement / statement of teaching philosophy.
MTK closely follows safer recruitment practices and all applicants are subject to rigorous reference and background/police checks.