Expatriate Teaching and Leadership Vacancy
MTK International School
Date of posting: 28.07.20
Category: Expatriate Teaching and Leadership Vacancies
Role: Teacher of Secondary English
Location: Baku, Azerbaijan
Employer: MTK International School
Application date/s: Immediate; interviews to take place in the UK or via Skype during the period 5th – 20th August
Start date: Tuesday 1st September (first teaching day of the 2020-21 academic year)
Contract type: Fixed term
• A highly competitive net salary;
• A performance bonus;
• A travel and relocation allowance;
• Fully-equipped accommodation;
• Comprehensive medical insurance for the employee and up to 2 dependents as standard;
• A school laptop;
• Lunch in the school canteen;
• Free tuition for up to 2 dependents1 as standard.
1 At the school’s current stage of development we feel that the Preschool and Primary school are ready for expatriate leaders but that it is probably not yet the right time to induct expatriates’ dependent children into the Secondary school.
Professional qualities and experience
We seek a qualified and self-motivated Teacher of Secondary English who can perform effectively in an exciting and challenging cross-cultural environment.
This an opportunity to join a great team and make a genuine difference, educating the upcoming elite of a young country with a promising future.
The successful applicant will be capable and passionate in the teaching of English as a first and as a second language, as well as English Literature.
The key duties can be summarised as follows:
1. Fulfilling a full-time teaching timetable: the successful applicant will teach Secondary English to children of a range of abilities from across the Secondary age range (Grades 5-11, ages 10-17).
2. Modelling teaching and team teaching: the successful applicant will be passionate about supporting their colleagues’ professional development in various ways.
3. Supporting school events, the extra-curricular program and other initiatives: the successful applicant should be a team player willing to assist with various school projects and initiatives.
The position will suit a committed, enthusiastic teaching professional possessing the correct blend of moral purpose, teaching and interpersonal and intercultural communication skills.
MTK school is located in Baku, Azerbaijan and moved to a state-of-the-art campus in the heart of the country’s capital in August 2018. A prestigious local private school educating the children of the country’s business elite, MTK is part-way through a transition to becoming a bilingual, international-style school that offers a blended English and Azerbaijani-instruction curriculum.
The school is comprised of a bilingual Preschool for ages 2-6, a bilingual Primary School for ages 6-10 (Grades 1-4) and a three stream Secondary school for ages 10-18 (Grades 5-12), which incorporates an international stream (offering Cambridge IGCSE and AS/A-Levels) and two local curriculum streams where the language of instruction is Azerbaijani and Russian respectively. The pupil roll is around 600 in total.
The successful applicant will work in close cooperation with a predominantly local staff, supported by four expatriate teachers who discharge different subject-teaching and leadership responsibilities within the International Stream: Secondary.
MTK employs an expatriate staff comprised of nine fully-certified teachers across the Preschool, Primary School and Secondary School and an expatriate Executive Principal who is a UK national.
• Qualified Teacher Status achieved in one of the following countries: United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa or the USA.
• Experience of teaching English using a UK-style curriculum across the Secondary age range up to and including AS and A-Level (ages 11-18).
• A positive work ethic and a high level of self-motivation; the willingness to act as a role-model and mentor, to students and colleagues.
• A passion for teaching EAL/ESL learners in a mixed ability environment.
• Cultural sensitivity and intercultural communication competence; the ability to relate positively to colleagues who were raised in a distinctly different culture.
• Perseverance and a willingness to find complex practical solutions to everyday problems; patience, emotional stability and a positive outlook.
• A commitment to being an excellent ambassador for our school within the Baku community.
Also desirable would be:
• Experience of teaching the Cambridge Secondary Curriculum in the relevant subjects.
• Experience of leading personal challenge and development programmes such as the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award; experience in leading charity and community outreach projects.
• Specific EAL / ESL experience or qualifications.
• Experience of working in an international setting within a team that has a high proportion of host-country nationals.
• Experience of living and working in the post-Soviet space.
• Proficiency in Azerbaijani, Russian or Turkish language.
How to apply:
Please address all applications to Ms Aygun Bayramova, Head of Human Resources; apply to the email [email protected]
The following should be included as attachments:
• a concise covering email, stating the role for which you are applying and core reasons why you are suited to the role
• a well-presented curriculum vitae, including full name, recent photograph, clear details of relevant qualifications, an accurate, clear chronology of teaching experience (with all gaps in employment since your initial teacher training accounted for) and, finally, a personal statement / statement of teaching philosophy.
MTK closely follows safer recruitment practices and all applicants are subject to rigorous reference and background/police checks.